SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
patrycja bieszk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:13:05 GMT
Hello everyone!
I need help locating the source of the following quote from Roland Barthes
used as a motto in "A Queer Reader" (Patrick Higgins, ed.);
I'd like to use it in a paper on homosexuality in contemporary popular
cinema:
    'Homosexuality shocks less, but continues to be interesting; it is still
at that stage of excitation where it provokes what might be called feats of
discourse. Speaking of homosexuality permits those who aren't to show how
open, liberal and modern they are; and those who are to bear witness, to
assume responsibility, to militate. Everyone gets busy, in different ways,
whipping it up.'
Thanks for your help,
Patrycja Bieszk